Friday, March 9, 2007

March 9, 2007 March break madness


So this is our areas March break week, starting today. I say ours, as i am led to understand not all school district areas have the same week for the break.

As in the past, i/we will not be going anywere for the week. Atleast not by plane, train, or ship. Its the crowds. I hate crowds. Shopping at Christmas time, even two months before Dec 25th is like putting my head in a vice, squeezing whilst someone blares American Idol reject songs, over and over. I think you get my drift.:-)

Nope, my idea of March break, is to, sit out back and have a cold one, enjoy the lesser clogged roads, to and from work. AND, and this is more important, enjoy a few days of photo drives, to catch up on missed opportunities during the winter.
Now the weather is getting a tad wormer, which means less ice on the roads. As i travel by myself a lot, and on back roads, this could be the savings of a tow truck, or worse, a call to my wife for help.

Winter is the time i really like to shoot Black and White photos, with film. B&W digital conversions and prints have come a long way from the simple Photoshop command of "Convert to Grayscale" as i discoverd in 2001 with Ver6. Thought i had died and gone to heaven. However getting good tones and contrast, as well as a good print, was not to be, for me, until late last year, when, through the good folk at the PDML(more on this bunch later) came up with good work flows and printer combos for digital B&W, Juan Buhler, being one of the better PDML ers at this.There are also a number who have taken great pains to get a good B&W workflow going and have been rewarded with showings and books.

Although i support B&W film, i and many others do like the "feel of silver". I have however, improved my digital colour to B&W conversions quite a bit lately, and as my confidence and appility grows over the next while, i probably will do what i have done with my film colour shooting, and that is all digital now.

I have recently upgraded my S800 printer, bought in 2001, and now have bought my first Epson printer, the 2400. I have been assured by Epson as well as real people who own the printer, that both colour and B&W prints will look asume. So far my few test prints show this.

I'll be using this printer for all my inkjet equestrian sales this year, and i hope my clients will see the differences.

Well, thats it.

Oh wait, almost forgot, its round two of the Jokers Hill CE Trillium shows this weekend. I'll be popping in over the next few days, to support the team etc. I also need some more Angie-isims from the show, and from the person that inspired this venture.

Oh-co-co for those that don't know is a rider showing for practise and does not want to be scored.

Thanks for that dear.

Thanks for listening.

D

No comments: